Fellowships are available for Fall 2015 applicants, check Financial Opportunities below.
See the testimonies of our students about the community projects on Facebook.
Deadlines for Fall 2016 Admission
Early: February 1, 2016
Regular: April 1, 2016
Late: June 1, 2016
|“I am fascinated with the idea of the new sustainable developmentprogram and its interdisciplinary structure, which is one-of-a-kind. The unique nature of the programoffers me the opportunity to work directly on developmental projectstargeting the environmental problems in Egypt, with an emphasis on aholistic approach that incorporates sociocultural and political aspects,which are rarely emphasized in purely environmental science studies.”
“As a pioneer, I consider myself lucky that I made the right choice at the right time for a well-recognized University in an area that is close to my heart as well to my field of studies, and which will benefit my country and society.”
|Why Study Sustainable Development?|
Why Study Sustainable Development?
Participants who join the program will be:
- Among the first group studying sustainable development in the region
- One of few green entrepreneurs in the Middle East and Africa
- Desired in the local and international job market
- Taught by international professors from four different schools at AUC
- Active in helping the community while studying
- Taking classes with students from different backgrounds
View the brochure for the graduate program in sustainable development.
Students interested in a double degree can enroll in the Dual Degree Master's Program in Sustainable Development in partnership with the Politecnico di Milano, the largest technical university in Italy and one of the top technical universities worldwide. Students complete the first year at AUC and the second in Italy, which enables them to earn their dual degree in their area of concentration.
|“After an extensive search for a program that could offer unique, rigorous content that meets my passion for business, community development and harmony between human and nature, only one program met my aspirations — the master's in sustainable development. Upon completion of the program, I willstart a social enterprise that meets a community need whileretainingeconomic benefits for both the owner and community.”
|“WhatI love the most about this unique program is its emphasis on youthempowerment. It is about marking your own footprint, the green one. Itis about leaving a legacy of hope to reach for others and to evolve together.”
Master of Science: 33 credit hours
Graduate Diploma: 18 credit hours
Core Module – M1
Diploma: 9 credits; MSc: 9 credits (1 mandatory, 2 electives)
- GREN 5201 - Global Changes and Sustainable Development (3 cr.) - mandatory core course
- GREN 5202 - Engineering for a Sustainable Environment (3 cr.)
- GREN 5203 - Core Concepts and Applications for Social and Environmental Policy (3 cr.)
- GREN 5204 - Entrepreneurship and Innovation (3 cr.)
- GREN 5205 - Environment and Society (3 cr.
- A range of courses from the four schools will be selected by the program committee and be assigned on the basis of individual needs of the students
Diploma: 9 credits; MSc: 15 credits (electives)
Green Technologies Module (M3-A)
- GREN 5211 - Water Desalination (3 cr.)
- GREN 5215 - Sustainability of Thermal Systems (3 cr.)
- GREN 5213 - Solid and Hazardous Wastes Engineering (3 cr.)
- GREN 5214 - Green Buildings (3 cr.)
- GREN 5221 - Marketing Management (3 cr.)
- GREN 5222 - Strategic Management of Innovation (3 cr.)
- GREN 5223 - Managing in a Dynamic Environment (3 cr.)
- GREN 5224 - Financial Management (3 cr.)
- GREN 5231 - Policy for Sustainable Cities (3 cr.)
- GREN 5232 - Greening the Built Environment (3 cr.)
- GREN 5233 - Urban Infrastructure Development for Sustainability (3 cr.)
- GREN 5235 - Corporate Social Responsibility and NGO Partnerships (3 cr.)
- GREN 5244 - Cities: Structure and Dynamics (3 cr.)
- GREN 5245 - Community Assessment and Program Evaluation (3 cr.)
- GREN 5246 - Community Psychology and Systems Theory (3 cr.)
- GREN 5247 - Prevention and Intervention in Communities (3 cr.)
- GREN 5248 - Consultation to Nonprofit Organizations (3 cr.)
MSc: 9 credits
|“Social responsibility...this is my main motivator for the program. My aim is to be empowered by the science that can enable me to really make a difference and help this planet.”
Somaya El Badry
“Today,if you are short of wheat or oil, you can buy them, but in a decade ortwo, there might not be wheat or oil out there to buy. As a country,what is our plan? Or should I ask: Do we have a plan? That’s why Ijoined AUC’s sustainable development graduate program.”
|Master of Science in Sustainable Development|
|Graduate Diploma in Sustainable Development|
|Apply Now / Admission Process|
The program is offered by faculty members from four schools at AUC: School of Sciences and Engineering, School of Business, School of Global Affairs and Public Policy, and School of Humanities and Social Sciences. The Center for Sustainable Development is the body coordinating the program, in collaboration with the four schools. The Master of Science program is enhanced by the advanced facilities and state-of-the-art equipment available at the University.
The tuition fees for Egyptian nationals are around LE 60,000 for the graduate diploma and LE 110,000 for the master's program. For international students, tuition fees are $18,100 for the diploma program and $33,200 for the MSc program.
The University Fellowships and Al Alfi Foundation Sustainable Development Fellowship are open for applications in Fall 2016. See the requirements and follow the instructions on the website for financial opportunities.
Apart from fellowships, a range of financial opportunities exists once admission to the program is granted:
- Financial Aid: After being accepted in the program students are eligible to apply for financial aid. They can fill out the application form in hard copy from the Student Service Center, or fill in the online form and print it. Then proceed to submit the application (in hard copy) with the required documents to the Student Service Center prior to the deadline. A list of supporting documents can be seen on the back of application form. For more information click here.
- Work-Study Program: This program grants around 15 percent off tuitionfees for those registered in three courses and can be applied for as soon as enrollment is completed. For more information, please check the the Office of Student Financial Affairs website.
- Assistantships: These are handled by eachdepartment and provide a monthly stipend, but no reduction in fees. Students may apply for assistantships after enrolling to attend AUC.
- Outside Funding: The graduate student services office lists a number of other sources under their section of Outside Funding of their website.
Within the implementation of the EU-funded Green Innovation and Entrepreneurship Program (GIEP), the MSc in sustainable development is collaborating with European and Egyptian partner universities to establish complementary "green degrees." Our students will benefit from the opportunities created by this partnership. Visit the GIEP website for further details.
- Start-up business in the areas of green technologies and business
- International organizations that are active in fields related to sustainable development (United Nations Development Programme, United Nations Environment Programme, UN-HABITAT, African Development Bank and the World Bank)
- Local or regional nongovernmental organizations that work closely with the communities
- Governmental institutions on the policy level
- Corporate social responsibility departments of major corporations
- Consultancy firms working in the area of environmental services or social development
- Bilateral donor agencies (GIZ, USAID, JICA, etc.)
For questions regarding the application procedure and required documents:
The American University in Cairo
Office of Recruitment and Student Service Center
AUC Avenue, Gate 1
New Cairo 11835, Egypt
For questions regarding the admission criteria, content and structure of the program:
Gate 1, Portal Gate